[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]Okay folks, today I have been asked to do a post on what I love about Darynda Jones’ books. As I have a regular feature on the blog called 10 Random Things…I’ve decided to do a 10 totally random things I love about a Darynda Jones books (they probably won’t be that random as I just know everyone else will love these things too;
1. Charley Davidson – Charley is sarky as hell and larger than life. Her kick-ass attitude makes her stand out as one of my top fictional heroines of all time. I adore her snappy one liners and also that little softer more vulnerable side that every so often makes a brief appearance. Charley is the sort of girl I’d love as a best friend and would most definitely want on in my corner. I heart her!!
2. Cookie – Charley’s BFF…that I may or may not be just a tad jealous of… Cookie brings that sass that every relationship needs. She has Charley’s back and is always armed with coffee. I adore watching this pair interact and they really are double trouble!
3. Mr Wong – Ha! He’s brilliant! He hovers in the corner with his back to the room, saying and doing nothing. He is a great mystery that Charley will solve one day. I die with laughter when Charley gets deep into a one sided conversation with him. I just know his story will be a shocker when revealed.
4. The LOL’s – I smile, snort and just plain old laugh out loud until the tears run down my face at the situations and dialogue in these books. Do not…I repeat DO NOT try and read these in the library or on a quiet train…people think you’ve lost the plot. I also love how some of the funny moments roll back through my head again at random moments making me laugh all over again.
5. Reyes – Man, that man is something else entirely. He is seriously sexy, ever so swoon worthy and can definitely kick ass. I could read and dream about Reyes all day longgggg…. *sighs while nearly falling off wheeled chair*. Anyway I just think Reyes is awesome and his and Charley’s relationship is one of a kind. I’m not even jealous of her…not at all *wink*
6. Rocket – Rocket is a really special guy who is not only dead but can tell when everyone else will die. He’s a handy guy to have a round but his lucid moments are few and far between at times. He is the sort of bonkers that makes me want to know so much more. I also have a feeling that Rocket will be a big player in the overall arc of the story.
7. The Mystery – There is an overall arc to these books but I really enjoy the little story-arcs that add that hint of mystery and allure. As Charley is a private investigator readers get to see just how smart she is working things through to solve cases. I always am never quite sure what will happen next and I love that!
8. Coffee – yes…random time lol! Like myself Charley needs coffee in every situation. She even makes me think about coffee while reading… Mmmmm more coffee!
9. Uncle Ubie – Uncle Ubie is totally awesome – his name actually isn’t Ubie but hey… He cares for Charley but also pulls her into some of those tricky situations that she always seems to find herself in the middle of. He may or may not have eyes for a certain BFF… I just think he makes a great addition to a crazy cast of characters!
10. FUN – These books are hilarious and I love the all round fun I have reading them. But they also have a more serious side with more sensitive issues that are handled beautifully. Darynda always manages to add that light and shade.
Sooo…have I convinced you to read yet? If not then you are seriously missing out – Darynda Jones rocks my little reader socks off and I NEVER EVER want this series to end. I’m also seriously hoping that one day I will acquire a signed copy…then my life will be complete. *fingers crossed* 🙂
Summary from Goodreads
With twelve hellhounds after her, pregnant Charley Davidson takes refuge at the only place she thinks they can’t get to her: the grounds of an abandoned convent. But after months of being cooped up there, Charley is ready to pop. Both metaphorically and literally since she is now roughly the size of a beached whale. Fortunately, a new case has captured her attention, one that involves a murder on the very grounds the team has taken shelter upon. A decades-old murder of the newly-vowed nun she keeps seeing in the shadows is almost enough to pull her out of her doldrums.
Charley’s been forbidden to step foot off the sacred grounds. While the angry hellhounds can’t traverse the consecrated soil, they can lurk just beyond its borders. They have the entire team on edge, especially Reyes. And if Charley didn’t know better, she would swear Reyes is getting sick. He grows hotter with every moment that passes, his heat scorching across her skin every time he’s near, but naturally he swears he’s fine.
While the team searches for clues on the Twelve, Charley just wants answers and is powerless to get them. But the mass of friends they’ve accrued helps. They convince her even more that everyone in her recent life has somehow been drawn to her, as though they were a part of a bigger picture all along. But the good feelings don’t last for long because Charley is about to get the surprise of her crazy, mixed-up, supernatural life….