Life was very ordinary for ten-year-old Robyn Silver. The often-ignored middle child in a big family, the most excitement she had was the dash to the dinner table to reach the last slice of pizza. Until… she begins to see creepy creatures around her town – creatures that are invisible to everyone else. And when her school is forced to decamp to mysterious Grimdean House and she meets its equally mysterious owner, Mr Cryptorum, Robyn finds herself catapulted headfirst into an extraordinary adventure – with more excitement than she could possibly have imagined. Be careful what you wish for…
Published by Scholastic
10 Random Things about Robyn Silver
1. Robyn is the third out of five children in the Silver family and has to share a bedroom with her 6 year
old sister. I had a lot of fun writing about the dynamics of a big family. My dad was the second of five children. His recounts of vying for food at mealtimes and battling to be heard went straight into the story.
2. I wanted to write about a girl who thinks she has no particular skills or talents. Robyn Silver believe
s she isn’t special in any way despite being drawn into the world of the Chimes.
3. Robyn was born on the stroke of midnight which is why she can see monsters.
4. The first monster that Robyn meets is a spiky kobold which looks like a goblin crossed with a porcupine.
5. The monster that gave me the most shivers was the etting – a huge black-feathered bird with a long, sharp beak. It follows people who are soon to die, hoping to feed off their departing souls.
6. Robyn and the other Chimes can also see wishes. These issue from the mouth of the person uttering the wish and look like strange glassy bubbles that float away into the air.
7. Not all wishes are the same. Only heartfelt wishes will last without popping.
8. The story went through several drafts. Mr Cryptorum – the owner of Grimdean House – is the only character whose name didn’t change.
9. I’m a habitual planner but some ideas just arrive with a thud mid-writing. Mr Dray and the Kester
ly kids literally landed in the story without warning.
10. I think “be careful what you wish for” is pretty good advice!