Summary from Goodreads
Death and destruction will bar her way…
Kyndra’s fate holds betrayal and salvation, but the journey starts in her small village. On the day she comes of age, she accidentally disrupts an ancient ceremony, ending centuries of tradition. So when an unnatural storm targets her superstitious community, Kyndra is blamed. She fears for her life until two strangers save her, by wielding powers not seen for an age – powers fuelled by the sun and the moon.
Together, they flee to the hidden citadel of Naris. And here, Kyndra experiences disturbing visions of the past, showing war and one man’s terrifying response. She’ll learn more in the city’s subterranean chambers, amongst fanatics and rebels. But first Kyndra will be brutally tested in a bid to unlock her own magic.
If she survives the ordeal, she’ll discover a force greater than she could ever have imagined. But could it create as well as destroy? And can she control it, to right an ancient wrong?
Book One of the Worldmaker Trilogy
1. Kyndra (my protagonist) used to be Kyndren before her sex change.
2. Brégenne is my favourite character. She’s about my height (5’2”) proving that short people rule and should not be messed with.
3. I posted the first 3 chapters of the story that would become Starborn on the OWW (Online Writing Workshop for SF, Fantasy & Horror) when I was 17 under the title ‘The White Sceptre’. Despite that being over ten years ago, chapter 1 hasn’t changed much.
4. In their earliest incarnation, Starborn were called ‘Elde’Shara’. Go weird 17-year-old naming! Honestly I’ve no idea where that came from.
5. I promised myself I’d never publicise this, but the bowl-shaped Relic was originally just called the Bowl and one of the reasons we changed it (apart from it being painfully underwhelming) was the innuendo it conjured up in my editor’s (dirty) mind. I’ll leave you to mull that over…
6. I redrafted Starborn four times before I found an agent.
7. Shika’s character is loosely based on a character from the manga series, Bleach.
8. I play a lot of Skyrim and am entertaining fantasies of inserting a dungeon crawl into Book 3 (the kind with draugr).
9. I was an extra in the first Harry Potter movie, filming at London Zoo.
10. Apropos the above, I went to theatre school and was initially going to be an actress, so here is a pic of me on the set of The Importance of Being Earnest. (The one with Colin Firth. I’m in the middle).